David C. Birtwistle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Northern Virginia Transportation Alliance, the only organization focused solely on making better transportation a reality for Northern Virginia citizens and businesses. Prior to this, Mr. Birtwistle served as a Senior Vice President with the North Region of Balfour Beatty Construction, a division of the US construction operations for Balfour Beatty PLC, a worldwide leader in construction, engineering and finance. He began his career in the Washington, D.C. area as a congressional intern, and then served with the Fairfax County Economic Development Authority overseeing the business recruitment and retention in Fairfax County. He also served on the staff of the Admiral H. G. Rickover, Foundation and Fairfax County Budget Office.
David has a Bachelor’s degree from Providence College in Providence, RI and Master’s Degree from American University in Washington, D.C..
- Board of Directors, Greater Washington Board of Trade
- Vice Chair, Northern Virginia Transportation Alliance
- Board of Directors, National Council of Public Private Partnerships
- Board of Directors, Washington Airports Task Force
- Board of Directors, Virginia Association of Commercial Real Estate
- Trustee, Virginia Associated Builders and Contractors PAC
- Urban Land Institute
- NAIOP National Committee for the State and Local Government Relations
- Board President, Center for Multicultural Human Services
- Board Vice Chair, Friends of Frying Pan Park
- The Dominican Foundation
- The Parkinson’s Foundation of Northern Virginia
- Former Affiliations:
- Chair, NAIOP Northern Virginia Chapter (2008 – 2009)