Sidney O. Dewberry is Chairman and Founder of Dewberry, a leading professional services firm established in 1956 providing architecture, engineering, and management and consulting services to public- and private-sector clients. Dewberry graduated from George Washington University, BCE 1951 and was named George Washington University Distinguished Alumnus in 1988. He has co-authored three books, including the well-known engineering manual, the Land Development Handbook. Dewberry was awarded the Northern Virginia Building Industry Association Man of the Year Award in 1978 and was honored as a member of the Washington Business Hall of Fame in November 2007.
Dewberry earned the George Mason Medal in 1997, the highest honor bestowed by George Mason University. He served as chairman of the GMU Capital Campaign from 1998-2005. In 2006, he was named Outstanding Fundraising Volunteer of the Year by the National Association of Fundraising Professionals. He was awarded an honorary degree by Danville Community College along with the GMU Civil Engineering Institute Engineering Excellence and Leadership Award. In October 2009, he was inducted into the George Washington University, School of Engineering Hall of Fame. He is Rector Emeritus of the GMU Board of Visitors, after serving an eight year term as Visitor and the last four as Rector with term ending June 2007.
- Emeritus member, George Mason University Civil Engineering Institute Board of Directors
- Member, Cardinal Financial Corporation Board of Directors
- Member, Northern Virginia Transportation Alliance
- Member, Washington Airports Task Force
- Member, Virginia Business-Higher Education Council
- Distinguished Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers
- Member, American Public Works Association
- Member, National Society of Professional Engineers
- Member, Virginia Association of Surveyors
- Member, Surveyors Historical Society
- Appointed by the Governor of the Commonwealth of Virginia to serve on numerous commissions including:
- The Blue Ribbon Commission on Higher Education
- The Commission on Transportation Policy
- The Blue Ribbon Commission for the Tobacco Indemnification and Community Revitalization Committee