Til Hazel is a native Virginian. He is a Director Emeritus and founding Chairman of Flint Hill School. He is the 1987 recipient of the George Mason University Gold Medal Award, the 1991recipient of the Greater Washington Board of Trade Man of the Year Award; the 2000 recipient of the Harvard College Richard Flood Award; a 2001 Laureate, Washington Business Hall of Fame; the 2009 recipient of the Washington Airports Task Force Williams Trophy; and the 2011 recipient of the Marshall Lifetime Achievement Award of the Judge Advocates Association.
- The University of Virginia Miller Center Foundation Board
- The Council on University Resources of Harvard University
- The Washington Airports Task Force Executive Committee
- The Virginia Business Higher Education Council (former Chairman)
- The Senior Council of the Greater Washington Board of Trade (President 1984)
- Director of the National Air and Space Museum
- Member of the George Mason University Board of Visitors (Rector 1976-78, 1982-83)
- Trustee of the George Mason University Foundation (President 1984-88)
- Member of the Dean’s Councils of Harvard College and Harvard Law School
- He received a BA in History and a Law Degree from Harvard University.